Select Menu

Ads

BREAKING NEWS

Slider

Video of Day

Powered by Blogger.

Latest News

Technology

Places of Kashmir

Health

World

Slider

Racing

Videos

» »Unlabelled » Another Kashmiri Pandit elected Panch in Pulwama
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post



Makhan Lal Zutshi Vows To Work For Welfare Of Villagers

Srinagar May 22: Another Kashmiri Pandit, Makhan Lal Zutshi, has won an uncontested Panch seat in the ongoing Panchayat elections, in Tahab village of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
The contended Panch, who is enjoying support of Muslim voters, is now going to contest for Sarpanch position—something, he believes, he has almost achieved.
Zutshi filed papers for Panch position from Ward 6 of Tahab village after his Kashmiri acquaintances asked him for the same, given his social commitment and benign nature.
“The election for the Panch post was scheduled for May 25. Nobody stood up against me and I won uncontested,” Zutshi told Greater Kashmir. “Now the Muslim brothers are asking me to contest for Sarpanch position, the elections for which shall be held on May 25.”
If Zuthsi wins the election, he would be the first Kashmiri Pandit to become a Sarpanch in the Valley, in the ongoing polls.
“The success behind my win is the Muslim brothers and sisters. There are 3300 voters in our village. I enjoy the support of majority of them,” he said. “Now for Sarpanch, two candidates are contesting against me. I am hopeful of my win.”
He said the villagers are vigorously campaigning for him.
Zuthsi was a Power Development Department employee who retired in 2000. During his stint at home, he remained popular among the villagers for his simplicity, and for extending a helping hand to the needy.
“Our area is backward. Muslim brothers and sisters trust me that I would work for the benefit of the villagers,” he said. “This trust has always been there. Kashmiri Muslims and Pandits are inseparable part of Kashmir society. We have been living together since centuries and have collectively faced the problems and cherished happiness.”
Zuthsi has a wife, a son and two daughters. He has a message for his community members living outside the Valley.
“We never left the Tahab village even during the peak of militancy. My conscience and sense of roots did not allow me to leave my home. Nobody came here to harm us. The villagers took care of us. We never felt threatened,” Zutshi said. “That brotherhood persists in Kashmir. There is no security threat. I appeal the Pandit community living outside to return.”
Earlier on May 10 Asha Ji, 52, who worked as a peon, shot into spotlight in Kunzar village in north Kashmir by becoming first Kashmiri Pandit woman Panch.

«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments

Leave a Reply